Re: [Shaku] urushi reactions

From: Bill Fletcher <bill@scienceandart.com>
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 17:41:38 PDT

Hi Bruce,

I first noticed urushi reactions (affected my lungs first) from a Ken
LaCosse flute I bought my first year of playing. It turns out that,
at that time, he was buying his urushi from Tom Deaver. Since then
I've had similar reactions very quickly to 3 Tom Deaver flutes. I
had fairly minor skin reactions to my Bonchiku flutes (red) when
auditioning new flutes. After I buy one I clean it well inside and
out with alcohol and then soap and water and have no problems from
then on.

I've thought that the methods of curing the urushi probably differs
among the makers and perhaps some urushi never gets completely
cured. If this is true, it's likely that lacquer ware makers can do
a far more thorough curing since they don't have to worry about the
bamboo cracking.

Bill