Re: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi

From: Kiku Day <kikuescargot@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 19:02:44 PDT

Hi there.

I agree with Ken that urushi is probably still the best material for
coating... it comes from a plant, it has a long history, and if it has
hardened, it should not give anyone problems.
I think makers should be careful about when they release the flutes if there
is an urushi coating. The thing is that very often they have themselves
become immune to urushi, and think it has harden enough... Well, things can
happen but usually we get over our urushi rashes - although some of the more
severe cases last at least a month. Murai Eigoro tells he has had urushi
rashes for a year!

And to Justin: Your recordings did sound like it was in a lovely place to
play.
If anyone on this list is interested in hearing Justin's test on 'can we
hear a difference before and after urushi coating", you can go to the
European shakuhachi list here:
and the recordings will be under files.

Blowing in rain in Japan,
Kiku