RE: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 14:46:42 PDT

>From: "Karl Signell" <signell@umbc.edu>
>
>Has anyone had success with urushiol barriers applied to the skin
>before contact? My HMO recommends a product now discontinued: "Products
>containing 5% bentoquatam (such as Ivy Block) have been shown to be
>highly effective in preventing the rash and reducing its severity."

I haven't tried one of these, but when I was looking for urushiol
solvent soap I ran across one at rei.com:

        Adventure Medical Ivy Block

        Prevent the painful rash of poison ivy--apply this FDA-approved
        lotion before venturing into the woods.

        * Apply before potential exposure to poison oak, ivy or sumac
        to create a protective barrier against their irritating oils

See the page at http://www.rei.com/product/669633 for details.

No shippment to Japan tho, it's a flamable item and has to go
surface, continental US only.