Re: [Shaku] Zen in the art of shakuhachi

From: Ron Hamady <rhamfilm@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 03:52:09 PDT

--0-1522475262-1184755929=:44531

From one of my teachers, Bill Schultz, I understand that prior to the sha=
kuhachi being used for musical purposes, it was a purely meditative tool.=
 Monks would play together in unison as a meditative practice in imitatio=
n of vocal chants or recitations. I'm thinking that on a group level play=
ing together would synchronize their breathing, and create a mutual exper=
ience. Also, I understand that during a particular period, because the mo=
nks were allowed to travel throughout the shogunates in exchange for thei=
r exclusive use of the flute for alms gathering, they were often used as =
spies for the emperor in exchange for this privilege. If suspicion arose =
and they were unable to actually play properly, they could be executed on=
 the spot. Practice, practice, practice. The instrument was also a pretty=
 good weapon, wielded as a club, so at least they wouldn't have to go dow=
n without a fight. It was only later that the flute emerged as a musical =
instrument, and became available to the
 public at large - something like that.
  Best, Ron
  =20
 =20
"Justin ." <justinasia@yahoo.com> wrote:=20
  I have often wondered exactly what the Komuso did. I
have never come across any actual answer of their
religious practice or routine. So this is also an
interesting question for me. Probably there are people
who have written various things on how they themselves
(in modern times) would use shakuhachi as a meditative
tool. But does anyone know of any information on
actually what the komuso did, in terms of daily
routine, other practices, and also how they themselves
used shakuhachi, except for begging? Where there no
things about this published in the Edo or Meiji
periods?

Best wishes
Justin

> G'day all;
>=20
> I'm a beginner trying to find the definitive book on
> the philosophy and
> meditative methods of blowing zen.

      =20
---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.=20
--0-1522475262-1184755929=:44531

<DIV>From one of my teachers, Bill Schultz, I understand that prior to th=
e shakuhachi being used for musical purposes, it was a purely meditative =
tool. Monks would play together in unison as a meditative practice in imi=
tation of vocal chants or recitations. I'm thinking that on a group level=
 playing together&nbsp;would synchronize their breathing, and create a mu=
tual experience. Also,&nbsp;I understand that during a particular period,=
&nbsp;because&nbsp;the monks were allowed to travel throughout the shogun=
ates in exchange for their exclusive use of the flute for alms gathering,=
 they were often used as spies for the emperor in exchange for this privi=
lege. If suspicion arose and they were unable to actually play properly, =
they could be executed on the spot. Practice, practice, practice. The ins=
trument was also a pretty good weapon, wielded as a club,&nbsp;so at leas=
t they wouldn't have to go down without a fight. It was only later that t=
he flute&nbsp;emerged as&nbsp;a musical
 instrument, and became&nbsp;available to the public at large - something=
 like that.</DIV> <DIV>Best, Ron</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><BR><B><=
I>"Justin ." &lt;justinasia@yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: </DIV> <BLOCKQU=
OTE class=3Dreplbq style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-L=
EFT: #1010ff 2px solid">I have often wondered exactly what the Komuso did=
. I<BR>have never come across any actual answer of their<BR>religious pra=
ctice or routine. So this is also an<BR>interesting question for me. Prob=
ably there are people<BR>who have written various things on how they them=
selves<BR>(in modern times) would use shakuhachi as a meditative<BR>tool.=
 But does anyone know of any information on<BR>actually what the komuso d=
id, in terms of daily<BR>routine, other practices, and also how they them=
selves<BR>used shakuhachi, except for begging? Where there no<BR>things a=
bout this published in the Edo or Meiji<BR>periods?<BR><BR>Best wishes<BR=
>Justin<BR><BR>&gt; G'day all;<BR>&gt;
 <BR>&gt; I'm a beginner trying to find the definitive book on<BR>&gt; th=
e philosophy and<BR>&gt; meditative methods of blowing zen.<BR><BR><BR>__=
cation.ucsd.edu:88/shaku/listsub.html<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>&#32;
      <hr size=3D1>Building a website is a piece of cake. <br>Yahoo! Smal=
l Business gives you <a href=3D"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D48251/*http:=
//smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/?p=3DPASSPORTPLUS">all the tools to =
get online.</a>
--0-1522475262-1184755929=:44531--