Re: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi

From: Perry Yung <yungflutes@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Jul 19 2007 - 05:19:18 PDT

Hi Karl,
I haven't used Cashew extensively but it seems slightly less hard. It's difficult to say since it depends upon how it is thinned and applied. I'm sure a Cashew expert can tell you more. I would say it is similar io urushi in moisture proofing. The thing about cashew for me is the smell. Urushi smells sweet to my nose, cashew smells like a chemical (at best). If you can get over the smell, it may be a good alternative for you.

Best, Perry

Has anyone found any difference in sound between urushi and cashew lacquer?
Any difference in hardness or moisture-proofing?

Karl Signell