[Shaku] Re: Greetings from Malcolm (shakuhachi)

From: Nicholas Pierotti <eurydice@cruzio.com>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 08:46:24 PDT

When playing the larger flutes, I have to cock my head in an odd way
to get some of the lower notes. It may be because of the larger
embochure, but I don't know. it's rather mysterious. It doesn't
happen at all when I play my flutes from 1.4 to 2.3, and it less with
my 2.6.
And this is odd, I have one 2.9 from Monty Levenson which doesn't
bother my neck at all. The 2.9 is a slightly thinner-shelled bamboo
than the Kyorei 2.6 and the Ishibashi 2.8, so maybe it's the
THICKNESS of the bamboo at the embochure, and the breath control
required for the lower notes, across the playing surface of thicker
bamboo. Or maybe it's the weight of those heavier flutes putting
strain on my neck.

By the way I want to thank you and everybody for the great advice. I
think everyone should try Kel's adivce, because my neck already feels
better.

As far as Reiki goes, I am a Reiki master in the line of Dr Hayashi,
and though my patients swear by me, and my flus and colds never last
more than twelve hours, I can't seem to fix my neck. Call me a
wounded healer, I guess.
I even practice long distance Reiki, so I will be sending Reiki to
all of you on the list who have physical problems.

Gassho.

Nick