Re: [Shaku] Re: Concert quality?

From: BRIAN RITCHIE <brianritchie@mac.com>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 16:51:54 PST

Hi All,

Even in Western music the pitch of A has changed over the years and centuries. I have a harmonium from 1885 which is A 455. That's strange. In general however the pitch is going up. Now orchestras tune to A 443 I believe.

Regarding shakuhachi this has caused a problem for 1.8. Most of the old Edo and Meiji 1.8's are pitched somewhere between D and C#. They made them to length not pitch and that's what happened. Now there is a conflict between 1.8 the length and the supposed 1.8 pitch of A=443 which means makers have to produce ever thinner flutes to match that pitch and tone suffers. Because wide bore flutes have a much richer sound and they have to thin the bore to make it conform to that high pitch.

BR