Re: [Shaku] Re: Concert quality?

From: Justin . <justinasia@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 16:52:09 PST

Hi Bruce
Well, your anonymous source there was talking about
concert pitch at 442, and you yourself at 440. So
there's the first discrepancy. I heard the current
norm is more often A =3D 442Hz, though also 440 and 445
being used (which is really most common I don't know),
varying from orchestra to orchestra. So don't get to
thinking there is some obsolutely fixed standard. It
comes down to personal choice in the end, of the
group. In the past it was even less standardized.
Apparently Handel used 422.5, Bach 480. Modern Baroque
players set their standard at 415.
The first standardizations to take place were, I
think, in the 19th century, in France A =3D 435Hz, and
in England A =3D 452Hz, later in 1896 changing to
439.440 became the standard only in the middle of the
20th century, and, since then continues to creep up.

So that's just to suggest "concert pitch" could be a
variety of things in European orchestras, even now but
more so when those shakuhachi in question were made.=20

Secondly, I don't see any connection myself in
"concert quality" and "concert pitch". Concert pitch
is just a name. One could play a concert in any pitch!
This is particularly so for Japanese music, for which
the koto and shamisen tune to the shakuhachi. There
have of course been concert for hundreds of years in
Japan. So there have been shakuhachi made and played
in concerts, in ensemble even in the late Edo period.
In that case, according to the taste of those players,
those shakuhachi must therefore have been "concert
quality".
I think what it comes down to is, does it sound nice?

Justin

http://mail.communication.ucsd.edu:88/shaku/listsub.html