Re: [Shaku] Re: Concert quality?

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 17:18:28 PST

>From: "Justin ." <justinasia@yahoo.com>
>
>Secondly, I don't see any connection myself in
>"concert quality" and "concert pitch". Concert pitch
>is just a name.

Did I say concert "pitch"? I meant quality.

>I think what it comes down to is, does it sound nice?

Mostly. While it's important that the notes do not deviate much
from center as you move up or down the scale, I'll take a shakuhachi
with a good sound over one with even, relative pitches any day as
long as it's not a lot of work to keep the thing playing in tune
(particularly when playing ensemble stuff).