Re: [Shaku] Re: Concert quality?

From: Justin . <justinasia@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 17:48:04 PST

Hi Brian
Although in theory that would work (narrowing the bore
to raise the pitch) I don't know of any maker who
would do that. The makers here in Japan don't care to
stick exactly to 1.8. If 1.8 is working out for them,
they stick to it, but generally people use what size
gives them the pitch they want. If you just made one
shakuhachi, then the length is fixed and I guess you
might work the bore to raise the pitch, but in
practice, if you make a shakuhachi which is flat, next
time you make a shorter one. If you want to check
this, just pick up any modern 1.6 or 2.4, and measure
it. Very unlikely it will be exactly 1.6 or 2.4.
Justin