[Shaku] condolence

From: Shigeru Nakajima <yomei_nakajima@yahoo.co.jp>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 07:45:16 PST

Dear all,

On 10th (JST) the great composer, Nagasawa Katsutoshi passed away (84 year of age at death).
He is one of founders of Nippon Ongaku Shudan (Pro Musica Nipponia) and Orchestra Asia.
Also he's been a representative of both groups for long time. He is a prolific composer with
Japanese traditional instruments such as a shakuhachi, koto, shamisen, 17gen, biwa,
fue and percussion(taiko and tsuzumi). His most compositions are for the both groups (orchestra)
and ensemble and solo. "Hoshun", "Poem for shakuhachi solo", "Den'enshi", "Suite for children", "Jukan"
"The image of Kata-ashi Torii", "Otsue Genso", "Haru Sandai (3 titles of spring)", "Mayudama", "Hida-balla" etc, etc.
We cannot mention the word "Gendai Hogaku" or modern Japanese traditional music without his works.
Also they call up memories of my younger days when I started shakuhachi playing.

Gassho.

Shigeru

http://www.promusica.or.jp/english/00top.html
http://www.orchestraasia.net/index.html (Japanese)