[Shaku] 2008 Shakuhachi Scholarship Recipients

From: Monty H. Levenson <monty@shakuhachi.com>
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 01:05:11 PDT

Recipients of the Tai Hei Shakuhachi Scholarship honoring the memory
of master craftsman Masuda Shuho and Steve Shinraku Buchbinder have
been selected. My sincere apologies for the delay in making this
announcement. Since December, I have been dealing with a death in my
family that has taken up much of my time and energy.

Once again, it was a challenge for Kayo and I to chose from amongst
all of the worthy individuals who applied. Each and every one of you
deserve recognition for your hard work and dedication to shakuhachi.

This year, thanks to several generous contributions to the
scholarship fund, we were able to give out $1,750 in cash awards as
well as two non-cash awards.

Recipients of the 2008 Shakuhachi Scholarships are:

Peter Spring for the The Steven Spring Foundation - New Orleans, LA
($500 + Shakuhachi Flute & Accessories)
Brian Yee - Santa Fe, NM ($500)
John Kypros - New York, NY ($500)
I Made Widana - Pegosekan, Bali Indonesia ($250 + Shakuhachi Flute &
Accessories)

We wish to thank all the applicants, their teachers and others
providing letters of recommendation and supporting documents as well
as contributors to this this year's scholarship fund. Your
participation is greatly appreciated.