[Shaku] Peter Hill in Los Angeles

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 10:26:54 PDT

We have an opportunity to bring Peter Hill to Los Angeles over the
weekend of August 16 & 17 to give lessons.

Over the past 20 years Peter has studied the shakuhachi with
Kurahashi Yoshio, and with Kakizakai Kaoru and Yokoyama Katsuya.

In 2007, Peter was awarded his Dai Shihan by Yokoyama Katsuya.
You can read his online biography at http://reibo.org/about.html

Peter is completely familiar with Yokoyama's "Doukyoku" repertiore,
(Shingetsu, Tamuke, Yamagoe, San'an, etc.), as well as being a
professional level player and performer of classical sankyoku,
modern shinkyoku, minyo (folk), and the pieces in the Jin Nyodo
repertoire that Masa was so fond of.

Peter has made a serious study of embrochure and the production of
meri notes. I found that a single lesson on his techniques improved
my sound and comfort with the shakuhachi dramatically.

I would love to bring him to LA, and if I can get enough folks to
commit to lessons, I will arrange to do so.

We haven't settled on a location yet but two possibilities are
Pomona College in Claremont and in Santa Monica. If there is
sufficient interest, and both locations become available, we might
hold sessions in both places.

In order to bring Peter here, I need a head count of folks who would
be willing to take lessons (at $60/hr) so I can figure out if it's
economically viable.

If this sounds interesting to you, please get back to me.

Bruce