[Shaku] update on Japan-India classical crossover music and USA tour

From: Tim Hoffman <ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 13:29:03 PDT

Greetings from Tim Hoffman, with the traditional Japanese seasonal
opening...

[ Kono michi ya / Iku hito nashi ni / Aki no kure ]

= Matsuo Basho haiku, sung by top vocal guru of Benares (in Japanese) with
the top koto artist of the world accompanying in a near-impromptu
situation - one of the bold items on our "INTEGRAL ASIA" CD that some of you
have; I will enjoy singing these things accompanied with my own koto and
shakuhachi in USA from next week.

We hope all is well in your bamboo grove. Just a note from Tim Hoffman, back
in Japan after a month of concerts in India (co-sponsored by US Embassy and
Air India) on 3rd tour there this year, and will be leaving for a month in
USA (01 Oct - 01 Nov). Though I have more than enough work on this trip -
various university programs, recording, broadcast, Society for
Ethnomusicology Conference at Wesleyan Univ, and family things in SE
Pennsylvania - workshop or performance could be arranged in PA/MD between 06
and 14 Oct, in central Mass./Conn. area on 23 or 24 Oct, in southern
Conn/NYC area 29-31 Oct. Have the koto (with totally new sounds and
techniques) also with me, will play with some hot hands in New England
university programs. Our expanded website has details and photos etc of
projects with both of the Japanese instruments and many Indian artists, and
more - www.ijmea.com
Any response, suggestions, etc welcomed, anytime.

And, if you think this is short notice... I gotta find time to crank out a
book on time (rubber in India, concrete in Japan) and things that live and
die (not always in that order) in it, like money, art, trust, honor, dreams,
and people, people, people...

Best regards,
Tim Hoffman
www.ijmea.com