[Shaku] John Coltrane and the Shakuhachi

From: Austin Shadduck <blackorpheus16@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Nov 23 2008 - 20:32:22 PST

As a newcomer to the world of shakuhachi I have many questions to ask, but I'd like to start with one relating to John Coltrane. My primary instrument is saxophone and I was surprised to see one of my jazz heroes in a photo holding a shakuhachi (scroll down in the link to see the image):

http://www.shakuhachi.com/TOC-Articles.html

I have seen discussions of this photo before but with no no conclusive answers. Does anyone know the story behind the picture, or when and where it was taken? I contacted the John Coltrane Foundation for information but did not receive a response. Perhaps a Coltrane biography mentions his relationship with the shakuhachi?

Thank you for the help,

Austin