[Shaku] Responses to "rare" shakuhachi LP Q

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 08:00:14 PST

As usual on the list, I got a number of responses to my query about
the LP. Here's a synopsis:

The player is Sakai Shodo

Sakai is the current head of Chikuho Ryu.

The title is Take o Fuku (Vol.1)

The title translates as "Blowing Bamboo"

The pieces are:

Futaiken Tsuru no Sugomori
Ajikan
Futaiken Reibo
Echigo San'ya

The LP was recorded December 19th, 1986

My commentary (FWIW):

The playing is strikingly dramatic. Even on an LP, with it's compressed
dynamic range, Sakai's playing is so soft at times that you can barely
hear it without cranking up the volume, and then ranges up to the
"turn it down" point.

I'm surprised the LP never got released (particularly given this is
"volume #1").

My thanks to the many people who responded.