[Shaku] Yung Flutes Shakuhachi Making Workshop Feb 7, New York City

From: Perry Yung <yungflutes@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 07:04:11 PST

Greetings Shakuhachi players,

I hope 2009 is finding you in great health and spirits! I am excited to be putting together a Shakuhachi making workshop and I hope some of you can attend.

Part One: Beginners Section, 10am - 1pm. One non-root bamboo stock and use of all necessary tools are provided.
Part two: Spot Tuning, 2pm - 4pm, is geared for those who can already play the shakuhachi and want to apply fine tuning techniques to their instruments, 2pm - 4pm. Participants can bring a pre existing flute to work on. All materials provided.

It will take place on February 7, 2009 at La Mama Theater's rehearsal space at 47 Great Jones (East Village, 3rd St between Lafayette and Bowery). The cost is $85 for Part One and $75 for Part Two. Those interested in both sections pay a discounted $120. Space is limited so those interested should RSVP ASAP.

Making and playing your own shakuhachi flute can be a immensely gratifying life experience.
 For me, there are few things in this world more joyful than making a musical instrument.
Join me in a personal shakuhachi making workshop devoted to crafting your own unique bamboo flute. No previous crafting experience is necessary. Anyone with the desire to take a saw and drill to a piece of bamboo can make a flute. I will share some of the traditional techniques I learned while studying shakuhachi making in Japan. Although I studied mainly under Kinya Sogawa, a professional maker, player and once uchi deshi (live-in apprentice) of Chikusen Tamai, I'm also influence by Tom Deaver, John Neptune, Murai Eigoro and Tatekawa Motofumi among others who generously shared their time with me.

Please contact me at perry (at) yungflutes (dot) com with any questions what so ever.

Hope to see you there! - Perry