[Shaku] Circled numbers on Kinko scores??

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 13:51:58 PDT

Bill Schultz drives down to San Diego about once a month or so to give
lessons to four of those of us who live here. This month one of the
students couldn't make the lesson, so Bill gave a talk on Jin Nyodo's
notation style and how it related to the different kinds of pieces Jin
was scoring.

One of the pieces Bill picked was Sanya Sugagaki. While talking about the
score, I noticed that it has the numbers 1 thru 4 (in kanji) in circles in
the score. They're not in order: #2 appears in the first line, #3 appears
in the third-to-last line, and #1 & #4 appear in the second-to-last line.
(cf. http://shikan.org/JN_Sanya-Sugagaki.html)

I remembered that a similar numbering appears on Jin's score for Akita
Sugagaki, and that when I asked Masa Yoshizawa what they meant, he didn't
really know. So I asked Bill. He didn't really know either, except to
say that the same numbers appear on the Sanya Sugagaki score in the
Goro Yamaguchi (aka Muira Kindo) set.

I'm wondering if anyone on the list knows what the significance of the
numbers is. This is not isolated to just these two pieces, nor to just
these two sets of scores.

I went to check out the Kinko Shuppansha "Official" Kinko Ryu (according
to Masa) scores for Sanya Sugagaki to see if they also had the little
circled numbers in the score. They do. Then I checked a Mizuno Rodo
Kinko score set, and the numbers appear there as well.

They appear in a lot of pieces. Cursory examination of the Rodo book
shows them in Sanya Sugagaki, Akita Sugagaki, Koro Sugagaki, Saima
Sugagaki, Shizu no Kyoku, Kyo Reibo. The same is true for some of those
scores in the Shuppansha set. And those are not the only pieces with
the numbers, that's just where I stopped cataloging.

The numbering isn't necessarily run true through the scores. While the
Kinko Shuppansha Saima Sugagaki score shows the numbers, the Rodo score
doesn't. The numbering also doesn't necessarily run through all the
variations of Kinko scores. Notomi Judo didn't include them (but then,
his scores are even more sparse than the Kindo/Goro set).

So, does anyone know what the significance of the numbers is?