Re: [Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #1283

From: Justin . <justinasia@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 08:36:01 PDT

Hi Glen

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, Glen swann <caine2323@yahoo.com> wrote:
 but as to why a variant
> order existed he didn't know.

I also don't know. It is interesting that it is no longer used though, and I think this tells us something, and may relate to the context of the time they were used in. Some of the Kinko-ryu pieces are already very long, and the number system can make them a lot longer. This doesn't make sense from the perspective of performance (too boring for the audience!). So this may point us more in the direction of spiritual practice as a reason, where added length might be wanted, for longer "sessions" or perhaps to explore the piece more deeply. Just a thought. If anyone else knows any reasons I would be interested to hear any.

Justin Senryu
http://senryushakuhachi.com/