[Shaku] Haru no Otozure & Komori-uta Hensoukyoku

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 15:00:05 PDT

Appended below, a digest of the responses to my query regarding the
yokobue score titles. My many thanks for the responses, which were
enlightening both about the actual titles and about the lovely
ambiguity of Japanese, particularly when one attempts to translate
it into English.

bj

--
>From: Karl Signell <signell@umbc.edu>
Forgive me for correcting Monty & Kayo, "hensokyoku" means "variations,"
not "arrangement." Musically they are not the same. May I suggest
"Variations on a Lullaby" as an idiomatic translation?
"Signs of Spring" would be more idiomatic English for "Haru no otozure."
Or perhaps, "Spring is Coming" or "Spring is Here." Tricky finding an
English counterpart which captures the nuance and poetic feeling of
"otozure."
--
>From: Christopher Yohmei <yohmei@gol.com>
Haru no Otozure (The Coming of Spring)
Komori Uta Hensoukyoku (Lullaby and Variations)
--
>From: David Wheeler <shakudavid@gmail.com>
Haru no Otozure is by Miyagi. I usually translate it as
"The Arrival of Spring."
Hensoukoku is normally translated as "Variation/s."
Henkyoku, a different character, is "arrangement."
Komoriuta is often translated as lullaby, but is not necessarily a
lullaby in the English sense that the baby is being put to sleep.
"Baby sitting song" is closer to the meaning, but since that does not
exist in English, "lullaby" is used.
-