Re: [Shaku] pickup for shakuhachi

From: <brtschndr@aol.com>
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 18:39:13 PST

 great advice

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Gutwein <dangutwein@comcast.net>
To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu <Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Sun, Nov 15, 2009 1:17 pm
Subject: Re: [Shaku] pickup for shakuhachi

You have to stop the already amplified sound from reentering the mic and being amplified all over again. Headphones have nothing to do with that. Both of your mics are probably omni/wide pattern mics. Great for recording but terrible for live sound reinforcement. Pickups work fine to reduce feedback, but they are essentially hypercartiod mics (supernarrow pattern). The attached mic would have to be suspended somehow near the top of the flute away from fingerholes so as not to favor the sounds coming out of that hole. Not too close to your lips or breath rumble will be picked up. Not touching the body of the flute (unless you have some hightech damping material there - don't want to pick up finger banging!

Dan

 . . . . from my iPhone.

           (240) 644-3445