[Shaku] March, '10 Sankyoku Intensive in the Rockies: Only 2 spaces left!!

From: David Wheeler <shakudavid@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 20 2010 - 08:53:44 PST

Hi Shaku-Listers!

Yoko Hiraoka and I are working on doing a Sankyoku intensive on March
12-14, 5, 0900-1600 on the 12th and 13th, 0900-1200 on the 14th,
lunches included, artfully prepared by David Sawyer. $380.
Participants book travel to and lodging at Louisville (La Quinta Inn,
etc.).
There are 2 spaces still available, so if you are interested, reply to
me ASAP (shakudavid@gmail.com).

This intensive is a very special chance to study two pieces,
definitive of their genres, at a level they are rarely studied
anywhere in the world, including Japan. We will look at history,
literature, musicology and music theory, and of course the music
itself. We will play lots, and also listen to recordings of great
masters of the past and present in action in the two pieces we are
going to study.

The intensive program will be the Jiuta shamisen work Shin Ukifune (by
Matsuura, from The Tale of Genji, 19th cent.) and the koto/shakuhachi
duet Izumi (by Miyagi, early 20th cent.) Friday and Saturday will each
be devoted to one piece, with the four 1.5 hour study periods divided
up into different areas of focus. Sunday will be a student concert/
master class, where we will review and celebrate our fruits of study.

Please join us for an early spring (late winter?) Shakuhachi and
Strings and Voice Ensemble fix in the Rockies! You won't regret it!
Cheers,
david kansuke
David Wheeler, Kansuke II
Musician (Shakuhachi)/Musicologist
3660 Buckeye Ct., Boulder, CO, USA 80304
Tel./Fax 303-449-2935
shakudavid@gmail.com