Re: [Shaku] Sad News

From: Peter Ross <peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com>
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 09:59:30 PDT

Some memories of Tom:

I stayed with Tom and his family in 1975 in their house in the countryside
outside of Osaka. He had recently opened his own flute making shop after a
long shakuhachi making apprenticeship. The story he told me was that he
asked Chikusen if he could be his apprentice. He was told no. Tom then
went and got all his stuff and came back. Chikusen didn't know what to do
with him as this was NOT culturally correct behavior. He stayed for 7
years.

In those days, I had this naïve, romantic image of how it was to study from
a master maker or player. So, I was shocked when Tom told me that when
Chikusen went to town once a week for supplies some of the apprentices
looked at each other and said "today's the day he dies in a car crash and
then we can open our own workshops".

Tom took me around to meet Sakai Chikuho and others. He was a gracious
host. My last night there he took me out for a special broiled eel dinner,
and lots of saki.

A few years later I was teaching a shakuhachi class at a community college
in Hawaii and Tom rushed me 10 student flutes. I think they cost a $100
each back then. I can still smell the fresh urushi. Now, I can't get near
the stuff.

Last time I saw him was at the Boulder Shakuhachi Festival in '97 or
'98? He looked like an old beach bum. Still had that crusty sense of
humor. I know not everyone liked him. He was a real character, but, we hit
it off for some reason and kept in touch. Last year he told me he was sick
and trying qigong and herbal remedies. I was thinking of emailing him last
week to see how he was doing.

Adios...

-peter