Re: [Shaku] Sad News

From: Justin . <justinasia@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 19:13:35 PDT

I first met Tom when I went to work for him for a Summer several years ago. I had the feeling he treated me perhaps how Tamai had treated him as an apprentice! A strange mixture of friendliness and severity. An image that comes to mind was like a hardy mountain goat, if you know what I mean. So it was tough sometimes, but also Tom shared many stories, and through our discussions I learned a lot. Tom also "taught" me shakuhachi making. I say "taught" - those who knew Tom might know what I mean, as his ways of imparting knowledge were not always conventional. But as Bill said, he did have a generosity and kindness about teaching. So I'm ever grateful for him giving me those first steps on my making path. Tom also had some interesting books on shakuhachi history, and so it was at Tom's that I really started my journey into shakuhachi history too. Since then we stayed in tough my mail and phone, and met up now and then, most recently this Spring up in Nagano. Although not physically strong, and in some pain, it was a real pleasure to see Tom as he was in very high spirits. It was the happiest and relaxed I've seen him. Something had changed, as if his big heart had softened some of that hard exterior! So even though Tom was sick, it felt like something wonderful had happened. We had much to catch up on, and chatted about shakuhachi things all night. It means a lot to me that this last memory of Tom is so happy. Many thanks Tom. Justin 泉龍