Re: [Shaku] Sad News

From: Kees Kort <kees@shakuhachi.nl>
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 03:54:41 PDT

Dear shakuhachi friends, I was rather shocked when I heard that Tom
Deaver had passed away.
In the year 1993 I met Yoshikazu Iwamoto in England, he advised me the
flutes from Tom, so I wrote Tom. I bought my first bamboo shakuhachi
from Tom and I am still playing Tom's flutes.
He came to Holland, I think it was 1994. He stayed with me for a week, I
organized some house concerts (I still have the recording on an old
cassette tape). In 20000 I came to Japan and stayed at Tom's house in
Nagano for some days. He introduced me to Katsuya Yokoyama, I remember
the special moments at the house of Yokyama Sensei and later we went to
eat together in a restaurant. It was February 24 or 25 in 2000.
I liked to spend time together with Tom, especially in his working
place, to see him work on the flutes. He introduced me to may friends
and made me feel at home.
I still cannot believe he left this planet.
Every moment I play his shakuhachi I can imagine how he created it. It
is a beautiful miracle, the sound...
It made my life so bright, so wonderful!!
Thank you so very much Tom, I honor your memory by keeping on playing
your shakuhachi.
Thanks Tom

       -Kees Kort
        Van Galenstraat 1