Re: [Shaku] New shakuhachi improvisation audio blog

From: Tim Hoffman <tmhoffmus21@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Oct 21 2011 - 18:40:08 PDT

Hi y'all, nice to be in touch, how goest things?   Good luck with all that, Dan.   Shakuhachi improv - hours of it coming up (tomorrow) in MD, in NYC from Wednesday, also at UCLA and with Aashish Khan in LA in early November. Then back to Japan, India and SE Asia for more same-old something new in the old world, kicking off my 5th decade over there. Info for events below.   Regards, T M (Tim) Hoffman www.ijmea.com   <><><in Towson, Maryland><><> Asian Classical Crossover T M Hoffman & friends http://www.towson.edu/asianarts/events/index.asp%a0 Center for the Arts Harold J. Kaplan Concert Hall Towson University (Towson, MD) Saturday, Oct. 22, 8 p.m. US-born, four-decade Asia resident performer and ethnomusicologist T M Hoffman has amazed audiences in Asia, USA and Europe with his command over Japanese and Indian music. This concert features authentic Hindustani classical music rendered on Japanese flute, shakuhachi, and 13-stringed koto, vocal music with Indian and Japanese classical poetry self-accompanied on koto. Also featuring Monir Hossain on Indian tabla drums, John Protopapas on sitar, and inter-arts surprises. Tickets: $17 general admission; $12 students; $10 AA&CC members For tickets: 410-704-2787  www.tuboxoffice.com  http://www.towsonedu/asianarts/events/index.asp%a0 <><><><> in NYC / Oct 27th - Nov 6th <><><><> * Hindustani classical, light classical & intra-Asian classical crossover music * T M Hoffman (shakuhachi, koto & vocal) + Narendra Budhakar (tabla) Wednesday November 2, 2011 @ 5:00 PM @Rubin Museum of Art 150 West 17th Street, Chelsea; (212) 620-5000   T M Hoffman (www.ijmea.com) has graced major venues of the world with concerts of authentic Hindustani classical music rendered on shakuhachi and koto and of vocal music based on Indian and Japanese classical poetry. Tim will be accompanied by Narendra Budhakar on the tabla. The Spiral Music concerts are Wednesdays at 5 p.m. at the Rubin Museum of Art, 150 West 17th Street, Chelsea; (212) 620-5000; rmanyc.org     http://www.rmanyc.org/pages/load/226  <><><><><><><> T M Hoffman on shakuhachi, koto & vocal - 11/5/2011 Chhandayan Center for Indian Music, New York City Chhandayan Center for Indian Music 4 West 43rd Street, Suite 618  (between 5th & 6th Avenues) http://www.tabla.org/concerts Artist(s): T M Hoffman - shakuhachi, koto and vocal Daniel Weiss - tabla Description: T M HOFFMAN US-born, four-decade Asia resident artist and ethnomusicologist T M Hoffman has trained in vocal since 1984 under Pdt Ganesh Prasad Mishra(Benares/Lucknow); from 1977 in Japanese flute shakuhachi under late Living National Treasure Yamaguchi Goro; adapted 13-stringed koto into veena, violin, santur and swarmandal styles. Graduate in music from universities of four nations, 20-year university lecturer, numerous international awards. Concerts of authentic Hindustani classical music rendered on shakuhachi and koto, and vocal music with Indian and Japanese classical poetry self-accompanied on koto have been well received in NCPA, SRA, IGNCA,  BHU, IITs, Santiniketan, Princeton, London, A.I.R., VOA, etc.  Details at www.ijmea.com. Interview on National Network of Education (India) : http://www.indiaedunews.net/ conversation/Tim_Hoffman.asp DANIEL WEISS Daniel Weiss has been under the guidance of Pandit Samir Chatterjee for nearly five years. He has accompanied instrumentalists and vocalists in the field of Indian classical music. Apart from tabla, Daniel is an established drum set player and has toured USA and Europe in the past five years. http://www.tabla.org/concerts ________________________________ From: Dan Gutwein <dangutwein@comcast.net> To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:14 PM Subject: [Shaku] New shakuhachi improvisation audio blog My teacher, Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin, has asked me to present a workshop at our East Coast Shakuhachi Camp in 2012. Since I was a professional jazz musician in the 1970s and 80s, I thought would be a challenge to make shakuhachi improvisation my topic. I am using this journal as a way to develop my ideas for the workshop, to create a little pre-workshop interest, and more importantly, to explore an approach to improvising that is musically and psychologically integrative. My goal is to work toward my more mature improvisatory voice, with strong roots in shakuhachi aesthetics, phrasing, and the structural rethoric of honkyoku. So, please check out http://www.BlowingBamboo.com   Dan Gutwein http://www.BlowingBamboo.com