Shakuhachi Fingering Chart

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@pacific.net)
Date: Sat May 17 1997 - 05:09:09 PDT

Hi Everyone,

Hey! We have to stop meeting this way! Many thanks to Bruce for instigating
this conspiracy. It's shaping up to be a lot of fun.

The discussion about western vs. traditional notation motivated me to dust
off an old chart on shakuhachi notation that I've had around the shop for
years. My wife, Kayo, was kind enough to leave her gardening for a couple
of hours to help translate the Japanese. This morning I've scanned and
uploaded image file to my web site which can access it at
http://www.pacific.net/~shakuhachi/Y-FingeringChart.html (It's listed on
the Main Menu.)

The chart covers the complete range of notes on the 1.8' (Key of D)
shakuhachi. It illustrates the fingering, lip and head positions for each
note on the 5- and 7-hole instrument as well as the corresponding symbol
used in Western (5-Line Staff), Tozan-ryu, Kinko-ryu and Ancient
Hogaku notation systems. (The latter is pretty rare and something I've
never seen. Not certain when or in what context it was used.)

Hope you find this information of value.

All the best.

Monty

Monty H. Levenson
Tai Hei Shakuhachi Flutes