Re: Hon Kyoku

From: Ronald Seldin (nyogetsu@panix.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 17:22:47 PST

Dear Bruce,

Reply:

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Bruce Jones wrote:

> I would like to purchase some "original music" scores - specifically
> works written by Jin Nyoda. Admittedly, I know little about what
> I am pursuing, but I have heard rumors and anecdotes about the work
> of Jin Nyoda - that he transcribed all the original Honkyoku and
> "published" them as individual pieces.

To my knowledge, since the death of JIN NYODO's deshi YAMAGUCHI HODO, in
L.A., only myself, and my licensed students are teachers of JIN NYODO's
music in the USA... Perhaps I can shed some light on your inquiry..

JIN Sensei became a KOMUSO , and travelled Japan for ten years (sometime
after the turn of the Century), collecting pieces..Personally from
Niigata-Kan, he was also proficient in the NEZA-SA-HA (Kinpu-Ryu)
tradition, indeed, a very important player..His NEZA-SA HA teacher was
SASAKI SOFU..The body of Honkyoku that he taught in the MEIAN (or MYOAN)
tradition were taught to me by my teacher KURAHASHI YODO Sensei, 25 years
ago...The Kinko-Ryu pieces were taught by MIURA KINDO (Honkyoku), and the
first KAWASE JUNSUKE (Gaikyoku)..These Kinko-Ryu Honkyoku, are
recognizable, but are definitely in JIN Sensei's inimitable style, and as
such, are different then the more often heard "Tokyo" style of Kinko-Ryu
Honkyoku..

Of course, I have all of the notation..But, I'm sure, if you think about
it, you will realize the problems of "selling" the notation..Since, I
believe a student should copy his/her teacher as closely as possible, it
would do a terrible disservice to the "tradition" to just try to play the
music without instruction..This is true for the notation of any of the
great Shakuhachi Teachers..This being said , you are certainly welcome to
pursue this with me privately, as I do teach by cassette...Unfortunately,
I have no students who live near La Jolla..But, if anyone else out there
is interested in this music, there may be a JIN NYODO player near
you!!!...Let me know...We also perform a JIN NYODO Memorial Offering
(Kenso-Kai), every May at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens..Free
Admission).This last one was our 20th Kenso-Kai...

  I also heard that he created
> a book of honkyoku temple pieces. What is not clear (in my mind
> at least) is if these are the same pieces.

I have never heard of these pieces referred to as temple-pieces, but
perhaps these are the same as the above mentioned Meian -Style HONKYOKU..
To this end, I will try to "drag-over" my (Ki-Sui-An) Repertoire List..I
hope that it will be of some help. although I fear that the formatting
will make it barely usable...If it dioes get through though , please note
tat all of teh HONKYOKU are JIN NYODO STYLE ,whether they are KINKO,
NEZA-SA-HA, or MEIAN

> Has anyone
written the history of the Kinko Ryu? Is it available > in English?

There are excellent MA, and PH.D., theses on KINKO-RYU (Araki Kodo V,
Ralph Samuelson, and Elliot Weissgarber, to name a few)..You should search
"University Microfilms" at any library...Theres a lot in English...

 Where does one go to get published pieces of music?

The only published pieces of the music that I know of, is the AO-FU (Blue
Notation), of CHIKUYU-SHA...which is headed by the present KAWASE JUNSUKE.
This is the stuff that you are referring to below..

> I know that the woman who runs Sharaku in San Francisco has
> some individual Sankyoku and Honkyoku pieces (the stuff published
> with green covers) but where would one go for published works in
> Jin Nyoda's hand?

There are no published copies...Only handed down, as explained above, from
teacher to student...

Feel free to contact me if you need any more information,
Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin
phone/fax: 212-818-0897

216 East 39th Street
New York, N.Y.

Here is my attempt to drag over the KI-SUI-AN Repertoire List:

KI-SUI-AN REPERTOIRE

GAIKYOKU
SHODEN
Kurokami
Rokudan
Shintakasago
Chidori
Yuki
Hachidan
Yugao
Chaondo
        CHUDEN
Midare
Ama Obune
Sue no Chigiri
Tsumi Kusa
Haru no Kyoku
Mama no Kawa
Keshi no Hana
Samushiro
Shinmatsu Zukushi
Sakura Gawa
Aki no Kotonoha
Kajimakura
Echigo Jishi
Shin Musume Dojoji OKUDEN 1
Sato no Akatsuki
Iso Chidori
Fune no Yume
Shiki no Nagame
Azuma Jishi
Shin Ukifune
        OKUDEN 2
Yoyo no Hoshi
Nana Komachi
"Sake"
Aoyagi
Wakana
Miyama Jishi
Hagi no Tsuyu
        OKUDEN 3
Onoe no Matsu
Uji Meguri
Ima Komachi
Tama no Utena
Yae Goromo
Zan Getsu

HONKYOKU

Daiwagaku
Choshi
Banshiki
Kumoijishi
Sashi
Darani
Sanya Sugagaki
Takiochi
Hifumi Hachikaeshi
(Futaiken) Sanya Koku
Mukaiji
Kyorei
Ajikan
Yugure no Kyoku
Azuma no Kyoku
Jinbo Sanya
Shirabe
Sagariha
Matsukaze Etenraku
Sogei no Kyoku
Shrinpo
Neza-Sa-Ha no Koku
Mujushin Kyoku
(Futaiken) Reibo
Akita Sugagaki
Matsukaze (ura)
Kyo Choshi
(Echigo) Sanya Tsuru no Sugomori
Sokaku Reibo
Shishi no Kyoku
Banji
Tori
Kado Tsuke
Hachikaeshi
Nagashi Reibo
Sanya Seiran
Shika no Tone

Wow!...I didn't think it would format like this..
It actually fits on one page, in 4 columns, in addition to another 1/3 of
a page with Optional Honkyoku, Gaikyoku, Ki-Sui-An Compositions, and Shin
Kyoku..

Take Care,
Ronnie