Re: *Suizen*

From: RbtJonas@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 13:34:26 PST

Dear Windsor,
        You asked about the practice of Sui-zen. Does it still exist?

        I've been studying shakuhachi about 8 years with David Duncavage who is
master student of Kurahashi Yoshio Sensei of Kyoto. I've also studied with
Ronnie Seldin, Katsuya Yokoyama, Marco Lienhard and others. All of them
superb teachers, and all with a spiritual dimension to their work.
        As my number one teacher, David's style has been clearly in the tradition of
Sui-zen. We are not merely playing an interesting instrument, but we are
tapping into an ancient spiritual discipline that brings the shakuhachi right
into the center of our being, living, perceiving and relating to others.
        Not all shakuhachi masters--in Japan, America or elsewhere--are interested in
the spiritual dimension of things. And of those who are interested, some are
more mature than others. Studying with different teachers first-hand is the
best way to find out.
        Sui-zen is my daily spiritual practice. I am also a Christian. If you're
interested in how this could be, you might want to read a book that I wrote
called Rebecca: A Father's Journey from Grief to Gratitude. New York:
Crossroad, 1996. It is the story, from a father's perspective, of losing a
new-born daughter. Rebecca lived just three hours. But so much happened in
that short time. My life was changed. The shakuhachi was there, the Sui-zen
practice was there, the whole time, along with my Christian practice.
        I suppose that one lesson might be--there are an infinite number of ways to
live out the way of Sui-zen, the way of the Buddha.

        Peace,
        Robert A. Jonas
P.S. To read more about Rebecca, please check out the Rebecca page in the
Empty Bell website, at this hyperlink (just click on the underlined phrase):
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/rbtjonas/emptybell.html">Empty Bell Home</A>