About the self studie

From: Bas Vogel (vogel@mail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 14:48:24 PST

Hi Tots,

About the self study - it is not your first instrument I understand ? Let me
tell you my history, it may stimulate you to play just yourself.

Cause, study means teaching = learning to do what an other already does -
and is that usefull ? Better to play your own things, your own way to be an
asset to the world.

I learned to play the trombone at the age of eleven and played in brass
bands. In that time I develloped an admiration for the people who can create
something from nothing - composers and improvisational instrumentalists.

When having an ear-problem I started to play the Double bass. With this
instrument I went in to classical music and on trombone in to
Jazz-improvisations. Especially in the latter, when the company was right
something more than just playing happened. We were played by the music stead
the way around.

After the jazz-club closed I had to find an other way to play in the
creative way. When trying to learn to meditate I heard the shakuhachi on a
tape thinking "that's my sound". Been searching for 1,5 years couse I didn't
know what it was called, what it looked like.

And to japanese a Shakuhachi is what to Dutch people wooden shoes are (very
old fashion). So in the Jap. shops they proclamed not to know of it.

At a friends party a guy showed up playing it and selling one. By chance I
produced sound right away and learned to play it by myself. On this
instrument now I can right away invoce the happening of the music playing
me.

There is nothing wrong with learning to play from somebody else. You will
learn to use it in special ways and to do things I will never know. On the
other hand I use it in ways I guess a studdied player will never think of.

What's more, it takes guts to let go of the security of having written music
in front or the confirmation of a teacher.

Anyway, good luck with your instrument and your playing.

Bas Vogel

vogel@mail.com
http://users.bart.nl/~vogel
+31 (0) 10 4766275