Seattle Shakuhachi Workshop April 15th.

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 12:00:30 PST

Greetings,

Seattle Shakuhachi Workshop

A one day shakuhachi intensive is now set for Saturday, April 15th,
2000 in Seattle, WA. It will start at 10:00 am and go till 6 pm.
There’ll be a pot luck lunch.

Back by popular demand is visiting instructor Michael Chikuzen Gould, a
Dai-shihan (Grand Master). Michael Gould studied in Japan for 15 years
with Yokoyama Katsuya and Taniguchi Yoshinobu. He has performed
throughout t Japan and the United States on radio and television, and in
concert and is a university faculty member teaching Shakuhachi and
directing Shakuhachi research courses.

This is Michael’s third visit to Seattle. In addition to teaching the
class Michael will give an informal performance of zen and folk pieces.

The workshop will focus on beginning to intermediate levels. Michael
has prepared a comprehensive and varied program. Many new subjects will
be covered as well as a review of the last workshop. **See below for a
detailed description of what will be taught.

All levels are welcome. There will be time for individual attention as
well as group teaching. Several beginning zen pieces (honkyoku) and
folk songs will be taught to the class. This time Michael will also get
into the main concepts of honkyoku technique and philosophy.

Space is limited so please pre-pay to reserve your spot. Private
lessons will be given on Sunday April 16th.

The workshop is $60 for the whole day. Private lessons are $50 for a
full hour. Lunch is Pot Luck, so bring your favorite food.

For further info. contact Peter Ross by e-mail
(peteross@cloudhandsmusic) or call:
(206) 364-5685
(I’ll be on vacation from 3-15 till 3-26. I will return calls and
emails on the 26th).

To pre-pay send checks made out to Peter Ross to:

Peter Ross
P.O. Box 55055
Seattle, WA 98155

      ** Workshop Descprition:

All the activities for practice Saturday have been chosen with the
understanding that many of the participants are in the beginner to
intermediate range and should serve as an aid to their understanding and
developement (and be fun too!).

                                    Part 1

                          Saturday, April 15 10 am

Warm up exercises : breathing technique, posture, hand position,
"physical" flexibility exercises (Yoko-yuri, tate-yuri, mawashi-yuri)
and "mental" flexibility exercises.

Explanation and demonstration of how they will aid in sound production.

Individual attention will be given during this time to help correct
problems in the above mentioned areas or any other difficulties found in
daily study.

                                    Part 2

                        Warm up song; Kyorei

         This song is played first in the lower range (Otsu) and can be
played easily in a group session.

                                     Part 3

         Introduction of the folk song "Oshima Bushi" : this folk song
has a nice simple melody and can be played without any meri(s). If
practiced several
times throughout the day, we will all be able to play it by the end of
the day.

                                      Part 4

         Open request time: Anyone can request help on a specific song
or just techniques they may be working on or would like to work on.

                  ------------------ Pot luck Lunch
Break----------------

                  ------------------ Afternoon session------------------

          Explanation of "Shin", "So" and "Gyo" and the applicability
in shakuhachi practice. How to develope confidence in "your" shakuhachi.

           Demonstration of these concepts through solo presentation of
two or three songs by Michael Gould.

          Introduction of "Shin Mukaiji" as the basic model of Honkyoku
for beginners. This song can be done by beginners but "Gyo" and "So" are
for those who are ready to expand on "Shin".

              The rest of the afternoon is undecided and could be used
for review of songs done from the previous visit (Honshirabe or
Lullabyes). I will also bring a duet (which has no meris) and we could
break up into two groups.The song is titled "Yama Biko" ("Mountain
Echoe"). I'm sure everyone would enjoy this simple song.

             Sunday April 15

Private lessons; all levels

--
Cloud Hands Music