Re: Blowing edge

From: kymarto (kymarto@gol.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 18:15:30 PDT

I don't think you can do much with a cylindrical bore. The shakuhachi has a
very unique reverse tapered bore that is quite critical to the production of
many notes, and not only in the 3rd octave. I reworked the bore of my first
flute 22 times, and the comment of the sensei was, "Only 22? That's pretty
good." There are published schemae for the bore of all different sized
flutes. These based on empirical studies of many different flutes. The 1.8
shaku starts at the utaguchi with a bore diameter of 20 mm. It remains at
this diameter for about 3 cm (sometimes with a very slight concavity) and
then begins an almost linear taper to 17.5 mm at the joint, and down to a
minimum of 14.5 mm just under the lowest finger hole, after which it flares
out again to about 17 mm at the bottom. Even slight variations from this can
cause all sorts of response and tuning problems. Fingerholes are all 10.5 mm
dia. except the one just under the joint (left hand ring finger) which (at
least on modern Kinko flutes) is 10 mm (Tozan and traditional Kinko often
have them all the same). This is less critical than the bore but any great
variances from this can also cause response problems in some notes.

This is not to scare anyone away from trying to construct flutes but only to
prepare them for what to expect. It's a great lot of fun to build these
instruments but it is often anguishingly frustrating.

Toby