Re: Blowing edge

From: Kenneth Forte (kenny@cs.strath.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 07:07:23 PDT

Brian Bagby wrote:

> How does the shape of the edge affect the intonation and playability?
> In particular --- Shape/depth/width of the arc and Angle of bevel?
> Is the edge as sharp as possible, or is slightly blunt desired?
> Are there some 'average' dimensions that should work?
>
> Waiting for Enlightenment
> Brian

Hi Brian (and others)

I've been wondering this myself - I've tried making a couple of
shakuhachi from pvc tubing (using Carl Abbott's book) but they don't
play the higher notes of the lower register too well, but then that
might be down to my playing..

I don't have a "real" one to compare it to which doesn't make life any
easier although I now have one on order from a US website but I think
i'll take weeks if not months to get here (Scotland). I may need to
learn patience...

I was also thinking of trying to make one from wood but I thought I'd
try and get a plastic one working first. I occasionally make irish
flutes from pvc and I seem to remember it took quite a few attempts to
get the blowing hole right when I started.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Kenny