Bamboo coating - Conclusion

From: Jay Daunheimer (jay@on-track.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 09:36:04 PDT

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Here's the summary:

To clarify my original question, I was wondering what to coat the
outside of the bamboo with. The bamboo I harvested has a very rough
texture on the surface, almost like a very fine grit of sandpaper. It
doesn't have the smooth sheen of other bamboo stock I've bought in the
past. I assume it's the species or BC weather that is the cause of this.
Or my curing technique :-)

The general consensus seems to be that you can paint bamboo with almost
anything. I am going to try a clear acrylic enamel.

As for the inside of the flute? Well...I actually don't like flutes with
the inside painted or coated. I know this bucks the trend, but I find it
makes the tone almost too clean. The raw quality of the sound is what I
like in a shakuhachi. In this world of perfectly synthesized music those
imperfections are a character I enjoy.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Yours,

Jay

--
Jay Daunheimer - jay@on-track.com
Lute Linux / On-Track Training

"Sometimes in dream I have violence or am meeting women. Then in dream I remember, 'I am monk.'"-Dalai Lama