Koto/Shamisen Summer Camp 2001

From: DAVID SAWYER (dsawyer@boulder.net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 08:47:15 PDT

Following on the success of the Shakuhachi Summer Camp series, we intend to
offer a camp for Koto and Shamisen players in the same location and with a
similar format. String instrument players don't yet have their own list so
we would be most grateful if we could ask shakuhachi players to help pass
the word about this camp.

Let me give you some idea of the experience: We will hold the summer camp at
Sunrise Ranch which is a spiritual community in a beautiful part of Colorado
at the foot of the Rocky Mountains about an hour north of Denver. There is
already a Shakuhachi summer camp there each year and people love to
come...it's very quiet and peaceful and the food is amazing (they have an
organic farm).

Costs may be as follows: Tuition $300.00 per person for 3 full days, 2 half
days.
Accomodation 4 nights including 3 meals daily, approx. $320.00.
The idea is to have students arrive by Friday lunchtime, stay Saturday,
Sunday, Monday, leave Tuesday afternoon. As a teaching format it works very
well and students leave with plenty of resources to continue with. Depending
on the number of students, we will arrange a high teacher-student ratio and
you can choose to study either koto or shamisen or both. The teachers will
all be senior masters of their instruments. Total beginners will be catered
for as well as more advanced players. Both classical (Jiuta) and modern
Japanese repertoire will be taught. A senior master Shakuhachi player will
be part of the ensemble teaching.

Will potential students please let me know of your interest as soon as
possible.
Sicerely,
David Sawyer 303-666-5581