Re: Ji-nashi

From: Riley Lee (riley@rileylee.net)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 03:29:30 PST

--MS_Mac_OE_3064256973_734777_MIME_Part

There are many differences between ji-nashi flutes and flutes made with ji.
But then, there are also an infinite number of differences between all of
the flutes that are made with ji.

In other words, it's hard to generalise. Many people (including me) think
that excellent ji-nashi flutes are very desirable. But this might be a
personal preference thing, rather than something based upon concrete and
consistent observations. Among the subjective words I might use to describe
the sounds a good ji nashi flute makes are 'mellow', 'responsive', 'rich',
'smooth', 'traditional', 'complex', etc.. Note that none of these words
really describe the actual physical sound, but we all think we know what
they mean. At least we know what they mean to us!

This may be one of those things that if you can't tell the difference by
yourself, when playing on the two types of flutes or listening them being
played, then there is no point really in hearing someone else's opinion on
the subject.

Generalising about pitch or intonation might also be counterproductive. The
quality of intonation varies between all flutes, whether they have ji in
them or not. One might observe floating around more ji-nashi flutes w/bad
intonation than flutes w/filler. This doesn't mean that therefore ji-nashi
flutes in general have worse intonation than flutes with ji.

This is because it is easier to make a bamboo flute w/out ji than w/ji. I
think that much more skill/patience/intuition/luck is needed to make an
excellent ji nashi flute than to make an excellent flute using filler.

Consequently there are many flutes w/out ji that have bad intonation. These
flutes are frequently, though not always, made by people who do not have
much training, experience or skill. So perhaps there are more ji-nashi
flutes with not so good intonation because more of this type of flute are
made by people who are not so good makers, rather anything innately to do
with using ji or not.

I am blessed with a number of ji-nashi or nearly ji-nashi flutes with good
intonation and that can also produce the second and even third octaves
easily. Also, I've seen many more ji nashi flutes in others' possession that
play much better than my own. Maybe I'm not so blessed after all....

The flute I play the most on right now is one made with ji, though maybe the
filler has been kept to a minimum. I don't really know.

Best regards, Riley

--
Dr. Riley Lee
Manly NSW 2095

From: "toby" <kymarto@gol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 01:15:58 +0900 To: "Lorne Edwards" <mgs.Edwards@ukgateway.net>, <shakuhachi@weber.ucsd.edu> Subject: Re: Ji-nashi

I think generally ji-nashi flutes have a "windier" and "woodier" sound than than flutes with finished bores. This is probably due to fact that, except in the longer flutes, the bore is quite a bit wider than the "ideal". This also leads to a lot of difficulties in the third octave. It is a rare ji-nashi flute that plays well in the highs, and generally the ji-nashi flutes that I have played left quite a bit to be desired in the intonation department. But not to forget that these were generally used as solo instruments and thus tuning and temperament could be idiosyncratic. They do have a charm all their own. Almost all flutes over 2.3 shaku are ji-nashi anyway, due to the fact that at that length the bore diameter/length ratio becomes better, and it is a real bitch to try to make bores in flutes that long. Toby ----- Original Message ----- From: Lorne Edwards <mailto:mgs.Edwards@ukgateway.net> To: shakuhachi@weber.ucsd.edu Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001 8:30 PM Subject: Ji-nashi

Hi all Following on from the recent posts I was wondering what difference there is in sound and playing between Ji-Nashi and standard instruments. Any thoughts? All the best Lorne

--MS_Mac_OE_3064256973_734777_MIME_Part

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Re: Ji-nashi</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> There are many differences between ji-nashi flutes and flutes made with ji.= But then, there are also an infinite number of differences between all of t= he flutes that are made with ji. <BR> <BR> In other words, it's hard to generalise. Many people (including me) think t= hat excellent ji-nashi flutes are very desirable. But this might be a person= al preference thing, rather than something based upon concrete and consisten= t observations. Among the subjective words I might use to describe the sound= s a good ji nashi flute makes are 'mellow', 'responsive', 'rich', 'smooth', = 'traditional', 'complex', etc.. Note that none of these words really describ= e the actual physical sound, but we all think we know what they mean. At lea= st we know what they mean to us!<BR> <BR> This may be one of those things that if you can't tell the difference by yo= urself, when playing on the two types of flutes or listening them being play= ed, then there is no point really in hearing someone else's opinion on the s= ubject.<BR> <BR> Generalising about pitch or intonation might also be counterproductive. The= quality of intonation varies between all flutes, whether they have ji in th= em or not. One might observe floating around more ji-nashi flutes w/bad into= nation than flutes w/filler. This doesn't mean that therefore ji-nashi flute= s in general have worse intonation than flutes with ji.<BR> <BR> This is because it is easier to make a bamboo flute w/out ji than w/ji. I t= hink that much more skill/patience/intuition/luck is needed to make an excel= lent ji nashi flute than to make an excellent flute using filler.<BR> <BR> Consequently there are many flutes w/out ji that have bad intonation. These= flutes are frequently, though not always, made by people who do not have mu= ch training, experience or skill. So perhaps there are more ji-nashi flutes = with not so good intonation because more of this type of flute are made by p= eople who are not so good makers, rather anything innately to do with using = ji or not.<BR> <BR> I am blessed with a number of ji-nashi or nearly ji-nashi flutes with good = intonation and that can also produce the second and even third octaves easil= y. Also, I've seen many more ji nashi flutes in others' possession that play= much better than my own. Maybe I'm not so blessed after all....<BR> <BR> The flute I play the most on right now is one made with ji, though maybe th= e filler has been kept to a minimum. I don't really know.<BR> <BR> Best regards, Riley<BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> -- <BR> Dr. Riley Lee<BR> Manly NSW 2095<BR> Australia<BR> Tel: 0414 626 453<BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <B>From: </B>&quot;toby&quot; &lt;kymarto@gol.com&gt;<BR> <B>Date: </B>Mon, 5 Feb 2001 01:15:58 +0900<BR> <B>To: </B>&quot;Lorne Edwards&quot; &lt;mgs.Edwards@ukgateway.net&gt;, &lt= ;shakuhachi@weber.ucsd.edu&gt;<BR> <B>Subject: </B>Re: Ji-nashi<BR> <BR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I think generally ji-nashi fl= utes have a &quot;windier&quot; and &quot;woodier&quot; sound than than flut= es with finished bores. This is probably due to fact that, except in the lon= ger flutes, the bore is quite a bit wider than the &quot;ideal&quot;. This a= lso leads to a lot of difficulties in the third octave. It is a rare ji-nash= i flute that plays well in the highs, and generally the ji-nashi flutes that= I have played left quite a bit to be desired in the intonation department. = <BR> </FONT></FONT> <BR> <FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">But not to forget that these were general= ly used as solo instruments and thus tuning and temperament could be idiosyn= cratic. They do have a charm all their own. Almost all flutes over 2.3 shaku= are ji-nashi anyway, due to the fact that at that length the bore diameter/= length ratio becomes better, and it is a real bitch to try to make bores in = flutes that long.<BR> </FONT></FONT> <BR> <FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Toby<BR> </FONT></FONT> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>----- Original Message ----- <BR> <B>From:</B> Lorne Edwards &lt;mailto:mgs.Edwards@ukgateway.net&gt; &nbsp;<= BR> <B>To:</B> shakuhachi@weber.ucsd.edu <BR> <B>Sent:</B> Saturday, February 03, 2001 8:30 PM<BR> <B>Subject:</B> Ji-nashi<BR> <BR> <FONT SIZE=3D"2">Hi all<BR> </FONT> <BR> <FONT SIZE=3D"2">Following on from the recent posts I was wondering what diff= erence there is in sound and playing between Ji-Nashi &nbsp;and standard ins= truments.<BR> </FONT> <BR> <FONT SIZE=3D"2">Any thoughts?<BR> </FONT> <BR> <FONT SIZE=3D"2">All the best<BR> Lorne<BR> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> </BODY> </HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3064256973_734777_MIME_Part--