Re: Ji-nashi

From: Alcvin Ramos (komuchiku@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 00:42:02 PST

To add to Toby`s observation...in the playing of gi-nashi it takes more
sensitivity to play one well since the air flow through the bore is more
erractic. The blowing technique for a gi-ari flute and gi-nashi are quite
different. Suffice it to say, there is a dynamism that gi-nashi has that
is not as apparent in standard gi-ari shakuhachi. For instance, producing a
nice tone on a gi-nashi flute requires much less power, and more
concentration, and gentleness of of breath. I love the rawness, overtones
and mirco-tonal textures that a nice gi-nashi flute produces. Furthermore, I
think playing gi-nashi (especially of the long variety, 2.3-3.0) adds a
deeper dimention to one`s shakuhachi playing, and I think actually improves
it. Kind of like cross training in heavier weights.

Al