More on improvisation...

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 14:00:16 PST

Hi Herb,

I'll add just a few more comments on improvisation to the ones I sent
before (below).

I feel that improvisation is spontaneous composition. A good
improvisation sounds like a fully formed composition. It's necessary to
let go of what we know to say something new. When the energy is right,
whether in the recording studio or in concert thought stops and new
ideas just flow. All the hours and years of practice are still with us,
but in a way that enables things to be fresh. I guess I don't believe
in pre-meditated improvising. It's a real thrill to go to a new place.
The fingers seem to move on their own. It's about the best feeling I
know.

For now,

Peter Ross, Seattle, WA

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question on
improvisation.

Your comment about letting someone explore the instrument before taking
lessons is interesting. Before I started taking formal lessons on
shakuhachi I had played around for a couple of years on a native
american
flute, then on the shakuhachi, when I bought one.

Those early days of messing around were enjoyable, until I reached my
level
of inexperience. Then my limitations became frustrating. While I
enjoyed
just playing the shakuhachi I didn't feel I could progress. After I was
doing lessons for awhile, I found myself not "messing around" as much.
This
brought a different frustration, one of being focused on learning the
"correct" way to play and losing the free spirit of it. So all this talk

about "being or becoming the music" or "making it one's own" is
presently
out side of my experience while I was focusing on "learning the music."
think I need to go back and add more "messing around".

Your comment about getting into the mood of a piece is very helpful. I
have
a vague instinctive feeling to do that but haven't had the courage to
try
it very often. Yet, as you say, when I do, that's where its at!

I just remembered that at the last two summer camps, I asked Riley Lee
do a spontaneous improvisation with me during the student presentation
night. Both times they were the highlight of the camp for me. Playing
with
Riley was a blast as his superior experience helped provide a base to
support me as well as give me something to spring off from. My listening

was incredibly concentrated, trying to listen to him, me, the music we
were
creating and my feelings/hearing of what was next. A very rare
experience.

Probably and adjunct to this discussion on improvisation is to mention
that
playing with those who are better than you will improve your
improvisational skills. If I have time I may write the list and mention
it.

thanks for your comments.

Herb