Re: shak across the cultures... a plain flute...

From: nomaDesign (nomaDesign@email.msn.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 20:48:32 PDT

I can relate to your recounting of playing to the birds in the wild and
having a blackbird come up to you. I can also relate, personally, to
Kurahashi Sensei's playing of Kyorei. I have had the good fortune of having
lessons with Kurahashi and playing Kyorei with him. He is a truly remarkable
player who exerts so much emotion and energy into his playing, it is awesome
and joyous watching him play.

As for playing shakuhachi for nature, when I was living in Massachusetts, I
would go into the woods every morning and climb atop a high rock overlooking
the metro Boston area at sunrise. While sitting there meditating I would
play Kyorei, allowing myself to become absorbed with the bamboo and how it
felt having the sound envelope me at take me away to wherever it went. One
morning, I had become totally lost in the piece, not at all aware of my
surroundings, when I finished playing, I opened my eyes and there was a
little red-tail fox sitting 10 feet in front of me watching/listening. This
was the most profound experience I had ever had, it was also most rewarding
and powerful.

Continue playing as long as the shakuhachi calls you to its voice; listen,
feel and blow.

Damon Atkinson
Alpharetta, GA

> One piece I especially admire is "kyorei" as played by Yoshio Kurahashi on
> the CD "Kyoto Spirit"... it is so completely unadorned and
straightforward.
> My understanding is that "Kyorei" is one of the oldest Shak pieces. With
> this artist, while I love his playing of the notes, I really appreciate
> hearing the wind in the bamboo during the piece, and all the little trills
> and whistles are like crackling in the glaze of a teacup... wonderful...
so
> many artists seem to play notes quite well but with this artist I really
> hear the wind in the bamboo... wonderful, wonderful!
>
> It reminds me of the latest flute that just came to me. This is a long
flute
> in G (Ni Shaku Ha Sun 2.8') and is not a root end, just a plain long
flute.
> It is a very heavy flute, when someone cut the bamboo originally in Japan,
> the etched the character for "stong" or "solid" in the bamboo. My local
> Shakuhachi guy (David Mason) just cut the utagachi and cleaned it out a
> bit, didn't even need putty (and no laquer!) and it is fairly easy to
> play... plays higher octaves easily for some players (not me yet!) While
not
> as easy to play as my "Old Crow" (which I also love!!) that I got from
Monty