Re: Age & Shakuhachi Study

From: Takegawa AR (komuchiku@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 11:08:31 PST

This was written by one of my students, Jill Woods, who is in her 50's, a
few years back which sums up how I feel about the topic:

Being a novice at playing such an ancient musical instrument, I couldn't
imagine putting into words my feelings when sound resonates from my
shakuhachi.

I have learned so much from playing the shakuhachi. How to breathe from the
abdomen, using all of your lungs, being aware of your breath, whether it is
flowing up, down, or straight across. Never fear, the shakuhachi will let
you know exactly where your breath is; either with no sound, a very high
pitched sound, or that wonderful, deep 'RO' sound which your body resonates
to when you hear it.

Playing the shakuhachi releases stress after after a long day. It has
introduced me to a new way of meditating and it has given me the opportunity
to meet others in a more spritual way, through awareness of breath and
sound. --Jill Woods, Vanouver, BC, Canada

Al