Re: Breath

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@prodigy.net)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 09:37:43 PST

I may not be using "atari" correctly, I should have probably used the term
"oshi" or the "hitting" of a hole in order to repeat a note. My suggestion
is that rather than "hitting" the "repeat-note" ultra-quick, you do it
slowly and listen to the resulting interval, then bring that awareness to
your CD listening. As far as the intervals produced on the various flutes
are concerned, I currently have in my possession a 1.8, 2.1, and 2.4 (thank
you Ronnie) and they all produce the same intervals between the various
notes, so I would assume that all the various sizes are consistent in that
regard. Of course, your pucker and chin position can dramatically change
your intonation on a given note. I sort of come to the conclusion that
playing shakuhachi requires an acute sense of where your pitch-center is,
otherwise you cannot be aware of the degree to which you are meriing or
keriing (do people actually spell these terms this way?!) from the
"reference-center" of a given note.