Interval Classification

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@shakuhachi.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 09:26:47 PST

--============_-1205758885==_ma============

>That produces an interval of a Perfect 4th (d-g-d). Next, play
>Tsu-no-meri with an atari using the same 2nd finger (producing
>Tsu-no-mere to RE and back). That produces the interval of a Major
>third (e-flat to g and back). Finally, play RE with an atari to CHI
>(RE-CHI-RE). That produces the interval of a Major 2nd (g-a-g).
>Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for all your helpful contributions to the list. As a trained
musician and teacher, would you be willing to explain how the
interval classification used above works, i.e. "Perfect 4th", "Major
3rd", etc. I'd be interested to know how this system relates to the
frequencies in cps or hz. of the notes involved.

Monty

--============_-1205758885==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
4th</b> (d-g-d).&nbsp; Next, play Tsu-no-meri with an atari using the
same 2nd finger (producing Tsu-no-mere to RE and back).&nbsp; That
produces the interval of a<b> Major third</b> (e-flat to g and back).
Finally, play RE with an atari to CHI (RE-CHI-RE).&nbsp; That produces
trained musician and teacher, would you be willing to explain how the
interval classification used above works, i.e. &quot;Perfect
4th&quot;, &quot;Major 3rd&quot;, etc. I'd be interested to know how
this system relates to the frequencies in cps or hz. of the notes
involved.</div>