breath

From: jaamvanloon@hetnet.nl
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 22:50:50 PST

is there a way to breath with shakuhachi , or does it just depend on =
personal preference ?

sometimes I hear to rise a little ( to straighten the spine ) when =
blowing out , and then to relax and sink back in your lower abdomen when =
breathing in ; while others say ( like in Zazen ) to relax and sink down =
in the HARA in the outbreath , and to straighten and a little tensed in =
the inbreath , so to sink down again when blowing , producing the air to =
go out smoothly with the diapragm and abdominal muscles

also I would like to know if there are specific exercises to lengthen =
the breath , as I have difficulties to finish one line in one breath.

kind regards
Hans van Loon