Re: Sound Material

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 01:38:02 PST

--B_3095779082_1864353

On 02.2.5 6:03 PM, "Monty H. Levenson" <monty@shakuhachi.com> wrote:

> This became quite clear to me when developing a technique for mathematically
> scaling the bores of various sized flutes to produce a prototype for my 2.8'
> (Key of G) shakuhachi. In order to minimize variations in wall thickness and
> resulting finger hole depth, I attached bamboo mouthpieces to PVC flute bodies
> which were then outfitted with precision bores. The sound of100% bamboo
> instruments that grew out of these experiments is indistinguishable from the
> prototypes. They have identical pitch, timbre and resonance qualities.

Monty,

I donユt mean this to sound snide at all, but if that is the case, then why
donユt you just mass produce flutes made to your specifications out of PVC?
They wouldnユt be pretty, but theyユd be very cheap, and if they had the exact
same sound, the only reason people would object would be romantic sentiment
for the appearance of bamboo.

Sincerely,

Zachary

--B_3095779082_1864353

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Sound Material</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">On 02.2.5 6:03 PM, &quot;Monty H. Levenson&quot; &lt;mon=
ty@shakuhachi.com&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino"><BR>
<BR>
This became quite clear to me when developing a technique for mathematicall=
y scaling the bores of various sized flutes to produce a prototype for my 2.=
8' (Key of G) shakuhachi. In order to minimize variations in wall thickness =
and resulting finger hole depth, I attached bamboo mouthpieces to PVC flute =
bodies which were then outfitted with precision bores. The sound of100% bamb=
oo instruments that grew out of these experiments is indistinguishable from =
the prototypes. They have identical pitch, timbre and resonance qualities.<B=

</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino"><BR>
<BR>
Monty,<BR>
<BR>
I don&#8217;t mean this to sound snide at all, but if that is the case, the=
n why don&#8217;t you just mass produce flutes made to your specifications o=
ut of PVC? &nbsp;They wouldn&#8217;t be pretty, but they&#8217;d be very che=
ap, and if they had the exact same sound, the only reason people would objec=
t would be romantic sentiment for the appearance of bamboo.<BR>
<BR>
Sincerely,<BR>
<BR>
Zachary </FONT>