acoustics and cosmology

From: Karl Young (kyoung@slac.stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 13:04:03 PST

> The best scientists in the world cant find * 90% * of the matter that they
> think is out there.
>
> If said scientists can't seem to locate 9/10ths of the universe, it's hardly
> a mystery that there are some things that appear to defy certain scientific
> expectations.

uh, here goes knee jerk Karl... it's actually 99 % and really it's worse
than that; over the last couple of years results have led physicists to
think that roughly 70 % of that 99 % is stuff that's hard to even
characterize (i.e. "vacuum energy" rather than just good old unseen
matter)

that said, I can't resist chiding Zack for what seems to me a non
sequitur; bore acoustics seems a wee bit more empirical than cosmology.

-- KY
Karl Young kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC M/S 71 PO Box 20450
Stanford, CA 94309