shiny materials

From: Paul Hirsh (monxmood@free.fr)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 14:42:20 PST

Just to say that some materials take a shine better than others, and a
shiny inner surface definitely sounds better (lower air friction). Also
finger wear round the top of the toneholes depends on the material, and
has an effect on the turbulence. On old flutes and clarinets a smoothed
edge on the fingerholes gives old instruments their classy sound. This is
something I believe Benade remarked upon. So I can't understand why
makers of repro flutes insist on razor sharp edges. Is it to show off
their craftsmanship? Any ex-hippies out there know the answer? Maybe the
case of shakuhachis is different: perhaps turbulence is welcome. <br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
try out intuitive instruments for improvisers on
hear my compositions on
</a></html>