Re: material and sound

From: coree coppinger (ccoppinger@wi.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 20:03:43 PST

Ok, I play guitar, I own a few hand made boxes. Guess what, they all have
different woods and finishes. Can I tell the difference, you bet. Soft woods
absorb vibrations, harder woods are more reflective. Some louder (S.
American woods), curly maple brighter, poly finishes set the structure of
the cells. What you hear is what you will hear as it ages. No finish, is
best for aging wood. The cells change with use (vibrations) and practice,
environment, (drying) and age. All contributing to the wonderful warmth of
an old instrument. The best sounding boxes use thin walls with little
bracing, to enhance the vibrations of the strings and wood. Not too
practical if you don't want cracking. Swelling and shrinking will also
effect the tuning ..... And getting into air flow ...a symmetrical cylinder
(not taking length into this factor) is going to be less chaotic, air flow
much more predictable, less nuances. An asymmetrical cylinder is going to be
less predictable in the way the air bounces around, also velocity is less
predictable, more unusual nuances. Is it only air that bounces within those
chambers? In a guitar, strings make sounds, (sound is vibration) amplified
by a wooden box which vibrates( remember sound is vibration), so the total
makeup of the instrument vibrates, and what do we get, sound. If I remember
my physics correctly, if I create vibrations at so many cycles I can create
the color red. So with my logic the matter which vibrates (material used in
instrument) will add to the color of the sound, reminding myself that sound
is vibration. Therefore I can conclude that the less dense the material is,
the more likely it will vibrate, and the more likely this material will add
to the color of the sound( air flow), again reminding myself that sound is
vibration. The big question here is not what causes sound, but what sound we
feel is best. And I feel that is a combination of vibrations(again
vibration is sound) and player who gives life, breath, energy, vibration, to
a now vibrating instrument ..... bingo...... we get a beautiful sound. I
feel all parts of the equation vibrate, all parts effect the whole. The
question is do we like the whole, and how refined are we when it comes down
to judging so many different beautiful sounds. At this point we add taste to
the equation. And there is no accounting for taste. coree