Where does the sound come from?

From: Brian Miller (millerbk@rconnect.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 15:41:38 PST

Greetings!

Maybe the answer to this question is obvious to most (but not to me!)
but, from what physical location does sound project from the shakuhachi?

As a kid I always figured that the sound came out the end of a wind
instrument. Especially considering my early observation that a
trumpetier (?) plugs the end of his instrument to mute its' sound.
However, my inclination now is that, at least with the shakuhachi, the
sound projects from the space between the lips and utaguchi - the place
where the wind stream encounters the most interference.

Meanderings....
Sometimes I really dislike the fact that I've got a mind with a
scientific bend. It often takes a lot of the magic out of life!
Unfortunately, it's hard to control the impulse to intellectially
"understand it all". Not a very Zen approach, is it, which is
impossible anyway? I beg the patience of our more left brained list
members. :-)

Cheers - Brian