Re: Lefthanded & Righthanded

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 16:15:17 PST

On 02.3.23 1:59 AM, "Bruce Jones" <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Then there's Riley Lee, who swaps back and forth when giving
> lessons to keep from stressing one hand over the other.
>
> I started doing this for long tone practice. It gives your
> normal bottom hand a rest.
>
> bj

I had never heard of a switch hitter before! I used to play with left hand
on top, but when I saw the dexterity with which my teacher played right hand
on top, and because I play mostly dokyoku, where the fifth hole and
especially the third hole are crucial, I decided to switch.

After playing for six years with the left hand on top, it took me about two
weeks to adjust to right hand on top. It was an interesting experience. I
found that it affected my sound beneficially, although in a way that is not
related to the fingering at all. Probably what had happened is that I had
gotten used to the left hand on top style of playing, and when I switched I
was forced to pay more attention to things like flute position, which
resulted in a better sound.

All in all, right hand on top is probably slightly better for playing
honkyoku, especially dokyoku (because dokyoku often requires rapid fingering
of the third hole). Then again, most long flutes are designed for left hand
on top players. This probably balances things out. I think this
information should be given to people who are learning to play so they can
make an informed decision, however.

Finally, when playing long tones and sometimes simple songs, I revert back
to left hand on top sometimes. I highly recommend people try this. It
forces you out of your patterned habits, and can result in some interesting
discoveries.

Best,

Zachary Braverman