Re: Finding a shakuhachi

From: Tots Tolentino (tots@quickweb.com.ph)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 14:07:23 PDT

> > I am looking for advice and leads on purchasing a
shakuhachi for myself.
> I have been using an instrument on loan from Wesleyan
Univ. for the past
> two years, but now I am leaving the area and moving to
upstate New York,
> and I want to get a new instrument. My budget is about
$250-500, and I am
> open to getting a nice wood one or a good bamboo one.

I would stay away from wooden ones for now for the reason
that sometime later on you would want to experience bamboo.
i made the switch a month ago and feel it's the best
decision I've made re shakuhachi. My wife even noticed ,
qoute " Now that sounds more like your CDs than the other
(wooden) one." Monty's flutes are the easiest and most
inexpensive way to get there. I waited for less than a month
for my student flute, and I live on the other side of the
globe. I imagine he could make one for you in a reasonably
short amount on time.
Good luck on your search.

Tots Tolentino
tots@quickweb.com.ph
http://www.geocities.com/totst

All of the music is out there in the first place, all of
it. From the beginning of time the music was there. All
you have to do is try to get a little piece of it. I
don't care how great you are, you only get a little piece
of it."
 - Dizzy Gillespie, conversation with Nat Hentoff, 1983